Gibralfaro Castle: A Breathtaking View of Malaga and the Mediterranean
Welcome to Gibralfaro, a stunning castle located in the beautiful city of Malaga, Spain. This castle is located on top of a hill overlooking the city and the Mediterranean Sea, providing visitors with breathtaking views of the surroundings. In this travel blog, I will take you through my experience of visiting this beautiful castle.
Getting to Gibralfaro is an adventure in itself. The castle is located on top of a steep hill, and visitors can choose to either walk up or take a bus. I decided to walk up the hill, as I wanted to take my time and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The walk took me around 30 minutes, and it was definitely worth it.
As I reached the castle, I was struck by its beauty and grandeur. The castle was built in the 14th century by the Moors and was later used as a military fortification. Today, the castle has been restored and is open to visitors who can explore its beautiful architecture and learn about its history.
As I walked through the castle, I was amazed by the stunning views it offered. From the top of the castle, I could see the entire city of Malaga, including the harbor and the Mediterranean Sea. The view was simply breathtaking, and I spent a lot of time taking pictures and just enjoying the scenery.
One of the highlights of my visit to Gibralfaro was the visit to the Parador de Malaga Gibralfaro, a hotel located within the castle. The hotel offers a stunning view of the city and the sea, and it’s definitely worth a visit even if you’re not staying there. I stopped by the hotel’s terrace and enjoyed a cup of coffee while admiring the view.
After spending some time at the castle, I decided to walk down to the city center. The walk down was much easier than the walk up, and I was able to enjoy some beautiful scenery along the way. Once I reached the city center, I explored some of the historic streets and tried some delicious local cuisine.
In conclusion, Gibralfaro is definitely worth a visit if you’re in Malaga. The castle offers stunning views of the city and the sea, and it’s a great place to learn about the history of the region. Whether you choose to walk up the hill or take a bus, the journey is definitely worth it. And don’t forget to stop by the Parador de Malaga Gibralfaro for a coffee or a drink and enjoy the stunning view.
To get to Gibralfaro castle in Malaga, you can take the following modes of transportation:
- By foot: You can walk up to the castle from the city center. The walk is steep, but it offers beautiful views of the city. The walk can take around 30-40 minutes, depending on your pace.
- By bus: You can take the bus from the city center to the castle. The bus ride takes around 20 minutes, and buses run regularly throughout the day. The bus stop is located at the foot of the hill, near the entrance to the Alcazaba.
- By car: You can also drive up to the castle. There is a parking lot near the entrance, and it’s free of charge.
Overall, walking up to the castle can be a bit challenging, but it’s definitely worth it for the beautiful views. If you prefer a more comfortable ride, taking the bus or driving would be a good option.
Here are some of the FAQs related to visiting Gibralfaro castle in Malaga:
- What is the entrance fee to Gibralfaro castle?
- The entrance fee to the castle is currently €3.55 for adults and €2.10 for children and seniors. However, prices may change, so it’s always best to check the official website for the most up-to-date information.
- What are the opening hours of Gibralfaro castle?
- The castle is open to visitors from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9:00am to 6:00pm (last admission at 5:15pm). However, the castle may be closed on some public holidays, so it’s best to check before planning your visit.
- Is it possible to visit Gibralfaro castle and the Alcazaba on the same day?
- Yes, it’s possible to visit both the castle and the Alcazaba on the same day, as they are located close to each other. In fact, there is a combined ticket available that allows you to visit both sites at a discounted price.
- Is the walk up to Gibralfaro castle difficult?
- Yes, the walk up to the castle is quite steep, so it can be challenging for some visitors. However, there is a bus service available that can take you to the entrance of the castle if you prefer not to walk.
- Are there any facilities available at Gibralfaro castle?
- Yes, there are restrooms and a small cafe located within the castle. There is also a hotel, Parador de Malaga Gibralfaro, located within the castle complex that offers dining options and a terrace with stunning views.
Here are some of the pictures taken at the castle would likely showcase the stunning views of the city and the Mediterranean Sea, as well as the castle’s beautiful architecture and historical significance.